Mobility has a few definitions. It can mean the ability to move. It can mean the ability to be mobile, aka, get around town. For seniors in Kansas City, Lees Summit, North Kansas City, Mission Hills, Johnson County, Shawnee, Lenexa and Olathe, mobility can mean the difference between being pain-free or bed-ridden. It can mean the difference between staying social and losing touch.
- Stretch. A little stretching every day helps muscles relax. Don’t try to do more than you’re comfortable with. Some arm, shoulder, gentle leg and hip movement can get blood flowing in the morning and help relax your body before bed for a better night’s sleep.
- Walk. If you are able to get outside for a walk, do so! The brain is stimulated by walking in ways that can aid cognitive function. Walking can help fight depression and lethargy. Our professional caregivers can get your loved one out for a little walk whenever the weather permits.
- Swim. Buoyancy allows for a break from gravity, and the repetitive movements of swimming can calm an anxious mind.
- Get to physical therapy. For people with Parkinson’s in particular, keeping the neurons in the brain firing in coordination with muscle movement is an important daily activity. Our caregivers can help with coordinating PT appointments and can get you there.
- Make dates. Plan a lunch with an old friend, or go see a ballgame. Having a social event to look forward to keeps seniors optimistic.
Let our caregivers at Kansas City Home Care assist in keeping your senior loved one mobile. Call us today to find out more.